BMAT started in 2005 when a group of engineers with a passion for music decided to spin-off from an audio research lab in Barcelona. The company started with an idea – to index all the music in the world – and a mission – to better the music eco-system – and a team of nerds eager to learn how to build a successful business. Today the company has grown to more than a hundred people - spread across Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Lima, São Paulo, London, Paris, Oslo, Tel-Aviv, Johannesburg, Singapore, Tokyo and Seoul - that team up to deliver daily 1 million identifications and 3 billion matches to our partners from all over the music industry.
We love music. It makes our lives a zillion times better. And we want to give something back to her (yes, to us music is a lady). Make her life easier and her future brighter. We apply our scientific, data-infused brains to tell everyone what music has been played – so that creators get the recognition they deserve. We hear everything everywhere and tell everyone who wants to know. ‘What plays around will come back around’ we say. We believe by helping this happen we can make a positive change in the music ecosystem and enjoy talent for another million years.
We are a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open-minded and well-traveled, coming from all parts of the world. We like coffee, tea, chai, and mate all the same. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination. We say there is a BMAT touch. We believe it has to do with being passionate, obsessive, nice, generous, honest, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, intrepid, crazy, extraordinary, creative, agile, human, friendly, smart, witty, talented, naive, optimistic, surprising, sensual, and nerdy, but not very hipster (unfortunately).
As part of the Digital Engineering team, you will help build and improve one of the most complete music data processing systems in the world. We are connected to more than 80 service providers such as Spotify or Apple Music. The sales reports they provide us are ingested in a scalable platform that allows us to efficiently process billions of music transactions each year. We also provide on-demand audio identification services, that allow our partners to monitor user-uploaded content platforms like YouTube and increase revenue collection from videos containing their music. With Python as the main development technology and a bit of C++ for CPU-intensive tasks, the system processes 650 million lines per month in a horizontally scalable architecture powered by AWS (Amazon Web Services).
A system of this magnitude needs resourceful, action-driven and diligent people to be maintained, operated and evolved. You will work side by side with the Barcelona team in order to offer the best user experience for our Asian clients and develop creative solutions to satisfy their business needs. Your responsibilities range from extracting concrete information from our databases (mostly MySQL and MongoDB) over resolving issues reported by the operations team up to develop tools in order to scale repeated tasks.
All About You
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- You know Python and some of its web frameworks and you are eager to get better.
- You are comfortable querying SQL and NoSQL.
- Bash knowledge can convert complicated tasks to one-liners.
- You have used AWS and know some of its core components.
- Starting a debugger is the first thing that comes to mind when tackling a bug.
- DRY principles are important to you.
- You are fluent in English. Competency in another local language is a plus.
It would be great if you also have
- Experience in music publishing operations, preferably at a Collective Management Organization, music publisher, or DSP.
- Knowledge of music metadata and reporting standards.
- Experience in Django
- Proficient level of English and Spanish.
You Can Enjoy
- Flexibility on working hours and home office
- Flat hierarchy
- English and Spanish online classes
- Wide range of online and onsite courses
- Possibility to choose your hardware and tools
- Becoming part of a diverse and multicultural team based in Barcelona obsessed with bettering the music industry
Diverse perspectives bring about challenges and drive innovation, and innovation is kind of our thing. Our open-minded and flexible culture organically fosters this diversity. We've learnt that we thrive on learning from each other, so we don't just welcome but actively hire a range of open-minded people from all walks of life. Our team is made up of people with different backgrounds, perspectives, orientations, abilities, musical tastes, dress sense and time-zones - but we all have one common goal: Making the music world a better place. With equal opportunities for everyone, BMAT is a pretty nice place to work.