There’s a talent to hiring people. You cannot leave it all to an algorithm and a chatbot. And you don’t have to do it all alone.
Circular is a community of talent managers committed to referring talented people they know and providing a positive candidate experience.
We launched our community over two years ago and we already close hundreds of tech hires every year –for companies hiring remotely or within Spain (for now). We’re a team of 15 ultra-motivated software engineers, designers, account managers, and talent advocates convinced that recruiting doesn’t have to be a brutal and ruthless industry. We’re now facing a huge expansion phase and looking for a process-savvy and product-driven person that can lead the operation team.
We believe that a strong set of values are needed to fulfill our mission. Values that inform every decision we make, every day; concrete and specific ideas that are easy to understand and that guide our relationship with our projects, our customers, and how our team works together.
We have a clear view of our weekly objectives, which we set together according to an ambitious company vision. Transparency leads to accountability and leaves no room for arbitrarity.
We have a keep-powerpoints-to-a-minimum policy and avoid technology gibberish. We focus on solving real problems with a simple, useful and beautiful product.
We strongly believe not all hours of work are worth the same and we are no fans of crunch time. That’s why we have a culture obsessed with efficiency: don’t waste time on non-core tasks, plan in advance, foster focus, prioritize and re-prioritize to-do lists, avoid meetings, etc. Let’s ship stuff.
What will you be doing?
During 2021 we will be scaling the Circular community in our current cities (Madrid, Barcelona and Remote within Europe) and expanding to new markets. Additionally we will have a very clear picture on how to execute our next stage of Product Market Fit.
To achieve that growth we need to continue testing things and proving hypotheses. And we need to do it fast.
How do we keep going fast as we grow? How do we go even faster while ensuring our product keeps a very high standard? You will be fundamental in answering these questions.
As a Senior Backend Engineer you’ll be working full time on improving the Circular product and our Product Development Cycle so we can get there!
We'll let you know more during the interviews, but some example projects you will be working on in the first few months:
- Improve our matching rate by implementing an automated ranking and dispatching system, possibly introducing some machine learning fairy dust.
- Evolve our backend architectures and improve performance of the overall code base.
- Come up with an automated/unit testing strategy that will allow us to release features faster and more safely.
How do we work?
Our stack is based on Django (we’re on Django 3.1 and Python 3.8) and all our frontend code is built using Bootstrap components using either plain Django templates or, increasingly, React.
Circular is hosted on AWS, deployed with Docker on Fargate and all of our data is on a Postgres database on RDS and in a Redis ElastiCache cluster. Everything is managed by AWS and there’s virtually no DevOps to perform at this point. Deployment and Continuous Integration are completely automated and we deploy to production several times per day.
We have a lean and pragmatic approach to product and software development. Linear is our main organizing tool, with GitHub Pull Requests for code review and a lot of Google Docs and Notion for everything else. Our design system lives on Figma where we can all interact with it.
Someone with 5 to 7 years of relevant work experience. That means you’ve probably been in a startup or agile corporate team before. We’re open to people from different backgrounds but it’s important to us that you can demonstrate performance in a small, fast paced team.
- Ideally someone with strong Python experience on Django projects. Although this is not required, you need to be able and willing to learn Django and get up to speed with our technology of choice.
- A person that has been technical lead or senior tech member in a small team, working very closely with a Product Manager.
- Someone who is happy and comfortable in a very independent environment. You should have strong communication skills and high ethical and work standards that will help you make the many micro-decisions you’ll need to make to move fast.
- Someone who wants full exposure to the world of scaling a startup and evolving Product Market Fit. We’ll include you in many discussions outside the comfort zone of the technical world. From product strategy to communication to design and branding. This is a high impact role!
What we can offer
- €40k-€60k annual salary depending on your experience
- A very competitive pack of stock options (defined as a percentage of your salary)
- Whatever hardware and software you need for the job. We currently work with Apple Macbook Pros (13”) with external displays.
- Full-remote work within the European timezone and the option of going to our Madrid office.