You will work in our data science team. Our data science team is divided into two: data science engineers and product data scientists. While our data science engineers are focused on writing code to apply machine learning algorithms for the internals of the product, product data scientists focus on understanding business problems and design solutions with our available features at Graphext + helping the data science engineers develop new features.
This position requires a mix of curiosity about real-world problems, being a good communicator and interviewer to fully understand the problems, and the ability to understand very well the whole toolbox available to solve data problems.
At the same time, we also expect our product data scientist to act as our own data scientists to find insights about our own users with all the information we collect about our product usage. We released a freemium version of the product last Summer and we already have information about thousands of data analysts which is crucial to interpret to make strategic decisions on sales, marketing, and product.
What we are expecting from you
📊 Data Skills
- You have a degree or some form of education related to data science (CS, Math, Physics, Engineering degree...)
- You are pretty familiar with Python and/or R libraries to do data cleaning and data exploration like Pandas or Tidyverse.
- You have some experience with SQL and APIs.
- You have developed data models of some form: regressions, decissions tree, xgboost, ARIMA
🗣 Communications and soft skills
- You speak good English.
- Verbal and writing communication skills. Being able to summarize the calls and e-mail you have with a customer is essential for the follow-ups of your teammates.
- Courisioty and interest for data science, data analytics and business problems.
- Being a chatty person who normally has more questions than answers.
- Energetic, self-motivated, goal achiever, ambitious .
- Empathetic, storyteller.
- Fast learner, flexible, risk taker.
- Committed, organized, proactive.
Extra points if you...
- Previous experience with NLP or Computer Vision.
- Previous experience working with Business Intelligence tools like Tableau, Power BI, Metabase...
- You speak Spanish as well.
- Previous experience in start up environments.
What is it like to work at Graphext?
🎳 About your teammates
Leading the data science team is Thomas, who joined Graphext almost 4 years ago. He has a Phd on AI and Adaptive Systems. Beyond his academic experience he also worked for another startup in the UK for 4 years developing physical simulations for adaptative experiences in videogames. He is German, but speaks Spanish perfectly.
On his side we have Jorge who joined Graphext while he was still a student of Maths and CS, after 3.5 years, he has become a senior data scientist engineer crucial for the core development of our platform.
Mariadel is the other product data scientist of the team, you will work very close to her. She came to Graphext in 2020, weeks before the first lock down. She studied Maths and CS in Granada and did a Master degree at AFI, where she now teaches clases on data science.
- We offer a competitive salary.
- You will choose the machine which you would like to work on. Most of us are using Macbook Pro or MacBook Air. You will decide if you prefer Windows rather than MacOs
🕰 Where and when
- This is a remote position. Since the COVID-19 started even though we have an office in central Madrid, the entire team is now working remotely.
- We are really flexible about how you administrate your time.
- Really flexible about your vacations too. Just coordination with the rest of the team is required. We offer 23 days of holidays per year + your local holidays.
🏺Our core values
- Our culture is based on responsibility. We are still a small company and we don't want to have more managers and individual contributors, so we focus on hiring people we expect we can trust without supervising all the time, with a high intrisinc motivation to keep growing as a professional.
- We like honesty and transparency. We believe most big issues arise as small misunderstandings and lack of communication end up erosionating trust for not having enough information to understand decissions.
- We really do our best to create an environment where people can speak freely, being authentic and empathic at the same time with all your peers.
- We try to to have as few meetings as possibles.
- Even though we are a startup, we play a long game, and we care to avoid bourn out. If you want or need to work many hours one day because you had flow, you were inspired, or there was an emergency, you will work less the following day. You are not gonna be sprinting for weeks.
- We have a global mindset. Even though most of the team members are Spanish we are open to hiring anybody from anywhere. We make sure people are confortable communicating in English. Everything is documented and reporting in English.