We are looking for a Visual and interaction designer with creative problem-solving skills, who is passionate about using their knowledge, creativity, critical thinking and specialized design skills to make products that encourage positive social change.
We have operations in Spain, Portugal, and the UK, and at this moment, everyone in the Vizzuality team is working from home. So you will be very welcome to join us if you live and are eligible to work in any of these 3 countries.
The job is for a full-time contract and we are offering between 25K - 35K Euros.
Would you like to be part of Vizzuality’s story?
Are you motivated by the desire to help build a sustainable planet for all life on Earth? Are you looking for a new opportunity?
Vizzuality’s purpose is to reach a fair and sustainable planet by creating tools that radically empower people to make positive changes now.
We are a world-leading technology agency based in Madrid, Cambridge, and Porto. We design and develop data-driven tools and applications for international organisations that focus on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Inequality.
Solving such large and complex problems will bring you into contact with new technology and some of the world’s most interesting organisations and academics in machine learning, remote sensing, and planetary data. You’ll be working on projects like these:
Our Culture “This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, therefore we need to make sure we care about our people and give them the power to build great things. These are some of the things that define our culture:
- Our team structure relies on self-organisation.
- We want to work with colleagues who don't have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instructions.
- As soon as you step inside, we will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then we will trust you to do great things.
- For ourselves, our colleagues, the organisation.
- We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
- As we are always embarking on new projects and challenges, a continuous learning mindset and a “Can Do” attitude is a must
- We are conscientious, we focus on learning and achieving our goals
- We give power to people so they can make decisions, and plot their own paths with help from all around them
We have fun:
- We also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun.
- If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
Skills and experiences we are looking for in a candidate
(*) Even if you think you don't tick all the boxes below, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team and aligned with our purpose!
Must-have skills and experience:
- A portfolio showcasing relevant work for this role. 2 - 5 years of experience in UX/UI design, with at least a few of them in an agency environment.
- Excellent visual design skills. Branding, layout, typography, colour, iconography, hierarchy, accessibility, etc.
- Experience in developing wireframes and detailed interaction behaviours.
- Familiarity with the creation of design systems and experience working with front-end developers
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills with the ability to evangelize design decisions and influence your team and clients.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Invision, Adobe, or similar.
Nice to have: Anything else to impress us? Over time, we’d like this role to take on more responsibilities. If you have some experience in any of the points below or would like to learn more about any of them, we would love to hear more about it in your application.
- You are very organized and autonomous in your work. You appreciate guidelines and feel comfortable getting involved in documentation.
- Some knowledge in high fidelity prototyping tools (i.e. Framer, Principle or cartographic tools like Mapbox)
- Analyzing data with an eye for translating it into visualizations.
- Your curious mind is keen on learning different scientific topics and emergent technologies to create solutions.
- Some experience using design thinking and agile frameworks.
- Familiarity with research exercises and turning users feedback into actionable items.
- Experience working on disciplines such as Supply-Chain Management, Geography, GIS, Economics, Systems Science, or related fields would make us lose our minds.
We are a Self-Managed Organisation: Below you will find some characteristics that make people successful in an organisation like ours:
- Motivation: The ambition to excel in the pursuit of unselfish, collective goals; deep personal humility and a focus on self-improvement.
- Curiosity: The instinct to seek new experiences, knowledge and feedback with an openness to learning and change.
- Insight: The ability to gather and make sense of information that suggests new possibilities.
- Engagement: The capacity to use emotion and reason to communicate a persuasive vision and connect with people.
- Determination: The ability to fight for difficult goals despite challenges.
These are some of the things you will be doing and achieving in your first year at Vizzuality
You will be using your experience to develop wireframes, visual elements and high fidelity prototypes to effectively conceptualize and communicate design strategies to clients and partners all around the world. You will also be partnering with other designers, user researchers, business teams, engineers, scientists and PMs to balance elegant and engaging design with performance and effective data-driven insights.
In 1 month:
- You will get to know your colleagues and some of our partners and clients.
- The design team will show you our workflows and project’s lifecycle. With the support of your peers, you will get hands-on exposure to a couple of projects and will help them with the different challenges and opportunities.
- Depending on the project need, you could be working with your peers in user interfaces iterations, feedback understanding, all the way through presentation proposals.
In 6 months:
- You will have a solid understanding of the project’s lifecycle and the company’s culture.
- You will be in charge of a couple of projects in maintenance status and gradually become the main designer of new ones supported by another designer.
- You will participate in workshops, user research activities and create visual systems and guidelines to ensure a successful implementation of the products.
In 1 year:
- You will be actively participating in internal initiatives to help your design team flourish and improve the company's processes.
- You will be the main designer of new projects. You will take ownership of your work and responsibility from conceptualization through completion every step of the way partnering with a multidisciplinary team.
Compensation, Benefits & Growth “This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
Compensation & Benefits:
- A competitive salary. We are offering between 25 - 35K Euros. This range is only an indication and we will agree on your final salary together based on your specific experience.
- A yearly bonus of up to 10% of the salary, depending on the company's performance and your own.
- If you are based in Spain or Portugal, you will get Health & Dental Insurance subsidised by the company.
- Mental health support via Spill, our third-party provider, to connect you with qualified counsellors and curated resources.
- 22 Holiday Days + 1 Day for your birthday.
Work and Personal Life Integration:
- We have a remote-friendly culture with teammates located across four countries and 10 cities. We run all our meetings online and create opportunities for the online experience to be better every day.
- We offer a flexible work environment and flexible hours, and as long as you do what you have to do, meet your objectives and coordinate accordingly with your team, we are not so worried if you work at the office, in a coffee shop, on your sofa at home, or at the beach!
Learning and working on new and interesting things is fun so we offer many opportunities to do so:
- A training allowance of 1300 €/year for courses, workshops, conferences or meetups of your choice, including travel and lodging.
- Get your hands on cool technology and applications to do your work, communicate, and build great things.
- You will work alongside a talented team of engineers, designers, and scientists with multiple backgrounds and skills.
- Peer mentoring.
- You will have the freedom to design a career path that suits your interests and growth needs.
- Support for giving talks and contributing to open source projects/initiatives that align with Vizzuality.
Recruitment Process Overview
Do you have what it takes to change the world? If after reading the description of the role, you like our culture and you believe you have what it takes to join Vizzuality, please send us your application.
This is how the recruitment process looks like and also some suggestions for you to include and consider in your application.
- Having a legal permit to work in Spain/Portugal/UK is mandatory and required, so make sure to state and confirm you are eligible to work in one of our offices.
- In other words, even if you match all requirements for the role and have the best skills, if you don't have the legal permit to work in one of our offices, we won't be able to include you in the recruitment process.
Application: 21 May to 4 June
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and what you can bring to the team.
- Please include any samples of your work and projects you find relevant to the offer.
- Fluent English is really important to us, so please demonstrate your abilities in your CV and Cover Letter if it's not your first language.
First Screener: 14 - 23 June
- This is a 60-minute informal interview so you can get to know a bit better the company, our culture and ask any questions about the role and our ways of working.
- From our side, we are interested in understanding more about what you are looking for and what you care about.
Interview: 29 June - 6 July
- You will be meeting with a few of us and we will deep-dive into your experience, skills and portfolio. You will have the space to share more about the way you work, reason and solve problems.
- This will be another opportunity for you to ask us questions about the role and the company.
Informal Catch Up with the Team: 7 - 9 July
- During the last stage of the process, the idea is to offer you a final opportunity to get to know more people on the team (not just Design or HR people) so you can make a more informed decision.
- You will be meeting online people from different areas//countries, so you can get an idea of what different people in the company do, how we organise ourselves, our typical day to day, or any other info you may want to get first hand.
Thank you for your interest in employment with Vizzuality.
Vizzuality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Vizzuality respects the privacy of our applicants for employment. We take reasonable steps to safeguard and protect any private and personally identifiable information you submit through this website in connection with your application for employment. The information that you submit will be collected and reviewed by the Vizzuality team in order to evaluate your qualifications and experience for job opportunities and access to such information will be limited to those with a legitimate business reason for having such access. Personal data you submit is not shared with third parties for reasons unrelated to your application for employment. We are committed to handling personal data responsibly and in compliance with applicable privacy laws.